Are you a student? Find scholarship opportunities.
Empowering Students Through Scholarships
Giving the gift of a scholarship can be one of the most effective ways to make a difference with your philanthropy. E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more about named scholarships.
Every year, the number of students who have found their way to college, worked hard to earn the respect of their teachers, and asked for help in the form of a scholarship far exceeds the available funding. For many students, a scholarship means the difference between staying in school or withdrawing. Scholarships, no matter how modest, can be the difference in a student’s life.
College completion is more important than ever. Across California, nearly two-thirds of all job openings will soon require at least some college education. Yet only a fraction of students capable of earning a degree actually do and most cite the cost of tuition, fees, and books as the biggest barrier. At MiraCosta College, more than 40 percent of students receive need-based state or federal aid, but most still have unmet financial needs.
You Can Change a Life
It’s not often that you get to see the direct impact of your giving, but scholarships provide that rare opportunity. Your donation to a scholarship or the Textbook Loan Program can help change the trajectory of a student's life.
Whether you want to support a current scholarship or the Textbook Loan Program with an annual gift of $1,000 or endow your own scholarship fund with $25,000, MiraCosta College Foundation is here to help.
How to fund a scholarship
Scholarship donors can create and/or contribute to a scholarship in a wide variety of ways. These are the most common:
- Click on the "Donate Now" button and make a gift using our secure on-line donation option.
- Write a check to the MiraCosta College Foundation and mail it to: MiraCosta College Foundation, MS #7, 1 Barnard Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056. Please write in the memo line how you would like to designate your gift.
- Transfer appreciated stock to the MiraCosta College Foundation. This carries with it significant tax advantages. For more information on this, please contact us.
- Fundraise among your family and friends for a particular scholarship. The foundation will track the individuals who make gifts to the fund and let your who know who has participated in the effort.
- Establish a new annual scholarship fund. You can establish a one-time or annually renewable scholarship fund with a gift of at least $1,000. You may renew the fund each year with an additional gift. This scholarship fund can carry your name, the name of a loved one, or the name of an organization. Donors receive letters from their scholarship recipient.
Things to consider: When establishing a new scholarship fund it is important to remember to keep your scholarship as broad as possible, limiting your criteria to one or two, at the most, three characteristics. Common criteria include financial need and minimum GPA.