Are you a student? Find scholarship opportunities.
Empowering Students Through Scholarships
Giving the gift of a scholarship can be one of the most effective ways to make a difference with your philanthropy.
Every year, the number of students who have found their way to college, worked hard to earn the respect of their teachers, and asked for help in the form of a scholarship far exceeds the available funding. For many students, a scholarship means the difference between staying in school or withdrawing. Scholarships, no matter how modest, can be the difference in a student’s life.
College completion is more important than ever. Across California, nearly two-thirds of all job openings will soon require at least some college education. Yet only a fraction of students capable of earning a degree actually do and most cite the cost of tuition, fees, and books as the biggest barrier. At MiraCosta College, more than 40 percent of students receive need-based state or federal aid, but most still have unmet financial needs.
You Can Change a Life
It’s not often that you get to see the direct impact of your giving, but scholarships provide that rare opportunity. Your donation to a scholarship or the Textbook Loan Program can help change the trajectory of a student's life.
Whether you want to support a current scholarship or the Textbook Loan Program with an annual gift of $1,000 or endow your own scholarship fund with $25,000, MiraCosta College Foundation is here to help.
How to fund a scholarship
Scholarship donors can create and/or contribute to a scholarship in a wide variety of ways. These are the most common:
- Click on the "Donate Now" button and make a gift using our secure on-line donation option.
- Write a check to the MiraCosta College Foundation and mail it to: MiraCosta College Foundation, MS #7, 1 Barnard Drive, Oceanside, CA 92056. Please write in the memo line how you would like to designate your gift.
- Transfer appreciated stock to the MiraCosta College Foundation. This carries with it significant tax advantages. For more information on this, please contact us.
- Fundraise among your family and friends for a particular scholarship. The foundation will track the individuals who make gifts to the fund and let your who know who has participated in the effort.
- Establish a new annual scholarship fund. You can establish a one-time or annually renewable scholarship fund with a gift of at least $1,000. You may renew the fund each year with an additional gift. This scholarship fund can carry your name, the name of a loved one, or the name of an organization. Donors receive letters from their scholarship recipient.
Things to consider: When establishing a new scholarship fund it is important to remember to keep your scholarship as broad as possible, limiting your criteria to one or two, at the most, three characteristics. Common criteria include financial need and minimum GPA.
Establish an endowed scholarship
You may set up a scholarship endowment with a gift of at least $25,000. The principal will be invested in perpetuity. After the first year in which your scholarship fund has been invested, most of interest earned from the fund will be used to fund a scholarship. Some of the interest earned will be reinvested. Over the years, the market value of your scholarship endowment will grow providing permanent and increased funding for student scholarships. Donors receive letters from their scholarship recipients.
For more information on this, please contact us.
Existing named annual or endowed scholarships
We currently have more than 100 different annual and endowed scholarship funds to which you may donate. If you would like to contribute to an existing fund, click on "Donate Now". If you can't find the fund to which you would like to donate, use the "other" field to specify the fund.
General scholarship fund
Make a gift of any amount and assist a student this year. Scholarships are awarded each spring and fall semester as part of the scholarship program developed and administered by MiraCosta College. This fund was able to award almost $12,000 in scholarships this past school year.
MiraCosta Scholarship Endowment
Your gift to the Scholarship Endowment will continue to grow and benefit students every year. An endowment is a fund established in perpetuity, with the principal invested and managed by the foundation and the interest earned providing a predictable source of revenue to fund scholarships far into the future. Because many individuals make relatively small gifts to this fund it has grown significantly over time.
Elaine & Bob Algeo
“Our dream is that everyone we touch can be the best person they can possibly be, that is what MiraCosta College strives for. We give because learning is a passion of ours and we believe education enhances lives in unimaginable ways.”Read more about our donors-